Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Script Continuation and Legislation in LETRR

 Here is the continuation of my final presentation script from where I left off last time, I might need to cut down my introduction because it seems excessively long: 



"I have spent the last 8 or so months, give or take, doing research in this field of study related to mild traumatic brain injuries and the game of football. The events I have covered this year, ranging from the suicide of Ohio State Buckeye’s defensive lineman Kosta Karageorge to Hall of Famer and ex-Cowboy star Tony Dorsett’s diagnosis of CTE, have been an eye opening experience for me. For many Americans, myself included, football is more than just a game. However, football is on the decline. Participation at the youth level has seen it’s greatest decline in the past years since Pop Warner began keeping statistics decades ago. In order to preserve the game that us Americans cherish so much, we must draw attention to the concussion crisis and find a way to protect athletes at all ages and levels from the risks that they face.

I have taken on this challenge by creating LETRR, a comprehensive proposal for the betterment of concussion management in the game of football. Football players don letterman jackets, and hopefully will make benefit from LETRR, Legislation, Equipment, Technology, Rules, and Regulation. 

To begin, I would like to show you all a video that epitomizes the necessity for legal changes in youth football."


So once again I leave off at a very random point. I begin the meat of my presentation with the L in LETRR, Legislation. The video that I plan to show is a snippet of this new TV show called Friday Night Tykes, a show glorifying violence in the Texas Youth Football League. If this video doesn't call for a complete overhaul of youth concussions laws than I honestly don't know what will. I plan to finish my proposal concerning legislation within this week, allowing me to move on to the ET, equipment and technology changes. 




Below is the preface of my proposal just describing LETTR. I am working on this paper on google docs. This paper will be my product that accompanies my presentation. 



What is LETRR?
        LETRR is a sports acronym that deals with concussion prevention and management. The five letters stand for: Legislation, Equipment, Technology, Rules, and Regulation. Improvements and change in one particular area or another will help the cause, but a complete overhaul of the game of football as we know it may be the best solution to an unsolvable problem. Injuries, more specifically concussions, are a part of the game of football. There is not a perfect solution to fix the problem. The key concept that I am trying to make clear is that the status quo is not acceptable.  Awareness of the problem needs to be heighten for it seems as if the majority of Americans have no problem with the game of football, cumulating in the “football players know what they are getting themselves into” defense. This argument is inherently flawed because of the fundamental fact that nobody truly knows what is being dealt with. The brain is the most arcane and important part of the human body. Concussions have been a part of the game of football since its inception and will remain in the game until its denouement. However, it is never too little, too late to stand up and say enough is enough. That’s what LETRR is all about: an acronym, an idea, a proposal for the overall betterment of the game of football that we all know and love.



My main proposal with legislation will be to promote the standardization of all concussion laws across the US. I believe in abolishing all differing state concussion laws in favor of one, super detailed and improved national law. With all the information out there in the world about concussions and its negative effects, the transition from state to federal law will go smoother than most would anticipate, in my opinion. Resistance of course about federal power and the rights of states will come up, but the argument is feeble at best - making a standardized concussion law is what is best for the children of our United States, no if, ands, or buts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment