Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Nov. 4, 2014

I'm now shifting my focus on finding out more about the rules and regulation in football. Also, I have decided that I needed to change the title of my thesis. No longer is it Concussions and Sports: A Hidden Epidemic. It is, and should have been, Concussions and Football: A Hidden Epidemic.

Right now I'm looking into spear tackling. Spear tackling is illegal in all sports in which tackling is a part of the game - except in the NFL. A spear tackle is a tackle in which the tackler runs full speed without any tackling technique in mind, ramming the shoulder into the chest of the opposing player. The NFL did make it illegal to spear tackle helmet-first. Which is funny because that should never have even come up in the conversation. The helmet should be used to protect the head, not as a weapon.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/spear-tackle/
Here's a video featuring former Chargers CB Quentin Jammer to showcase the dangers of spear tackling.

I believe in the total decimation of this rule. Spear tackling should be completely eliminated from the game, with a bigger emphasis on "Seahawk" tackling. In rugby, a perfect tackle is one that is technically perfect, one that uses safe, effective, tactful techniques. In the NFL, it seems as if the "perfect tackle" is one that knocks the wind out of the opponent.

Next class hopefully I can find the 60 minutes on "A Blow to the Brain"

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/dave-duerson-the-ferocious-life-and-tragic-death-of-a-super-bowl-star-20121002?page=2
Putting this link here so I can read the article on Dave Duerson.

No comments:

Post a Comment