Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Term Paper

Today I received the assignment that will be my fall final exam, a term paper.

Some very relevant words by Mr. Correa himself:

"At this point, is ought to be more of struggle to stay within the length requirements (no more than five pages), rather than a struggle to meet them (no less than 3 pages)."

With so much to talk about, keeping my paper within the length requirements will be difficult but manageable.

I spent the entire class working on my term paper. Here is a snippet of what I have so far:
Sports is an umbrella term for the wide variety of games that encompass what we know as a physical activity, a sport. Originally, I titled my thesis project as “Concussions and Sports: A Hidden Epidemic.” However, after undergoing closer inspection, I came to the conclusion that the word “sports” is much too broad. I want to clarify that I am focusing on football, only football, and the equipment/technology, regulations, and legislation concerning it. Thus, a feeling of neglect comes about from focusing on only one particular sport. Concussions do not just occur in football, I am very aware of this. In fact, according to the Center for Injury Research and Policy, more high school soccer players had concussions in 2010 than basketball, baseball, wrestling, and softball players combined (Chemi, “Soccer Concussions Are More Frequent Than You Think”). But what sport had even more concussions than soccer? Football. Once established guidelines are challenged in the biggest sport, in terms of the concussion rate and general popularity in America, than will widespread reforms come about in all sports.
I would have liked to discuss about more development in the NFL concussions settlement story that is going on right now, but I decided to focus on the term paper. So, just keep an eye out for what might occur in the next couple of weeks, if anything. This could end up being a monumental moment in the history for concussion safety advocacy. Just keep this quote in the back of your head:

"The NFL showed 765 million reasons why you shouldn't play football." - Harry Carson on the NFL's $765 million dollar settlement on concussions in the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment