Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Term Paper

I continued to work on my term paper.

Write a 3-5 page essay (3 pages minimum) in which you synthesis and reflect on what you have learned in your field and through the thesis process thus far.
^ I'm going to copy and paste this to every blog post until I'm finished with my term paper, that way I can see my objective every class period.

This is just a link to an article that links to a PDF file that is one of my citations in my paper so I'm putting it here so I could access it quicker: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-07/soccer-concussions-are-more-frequent-than-you-think


Here is what I wrote up today:
The sports world is lighting quick. It revolves around its own axis at a rate much faster than that of Earth itself. To expound, as I make progress in a particular field of study within my topic some new groundbreaking piece of information always tends to arise right when I am content with my analysis of that said sub-topic. When this occurs, I have to take into account the new information and analyze every little facet related to my thesis project. As I am writing this term paper, major news about Kosta Karageorge, a defensive lineman for the Ohio State Buckeyes (one of the best college football teams in the nation), has come out. In summary, Karageorge, 22, was found dead in a dumpster from what has been identified as a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Why would a football player from one of the best sports programs in the nation commit suicide? Without surprise, the answer may end up boiling down to the concussions he received throughout his football career. These type of stories are almost commonplace now. A football player commits suicide and, within a second, the topic of concussions becomes heavily discussed. As the story develops, concussions remain the focal point in all conversations about the incident. Then, like a flash before one’s eyes, it is over. People move on from the story and just wait for the next tragic event to occur. This cycle pains me. I am certain that within a month, maybe even two weeks, nobody is going to be talking about Karageorge. There will be no biography written about him. There will not be a suicide awareness outreach following this story like the one that followed Robin William’s death. Because at the end of the day, people will remain ignorant about the factor that concussions may have played in leading to Karageorge’s suicide. He will be looked as just another person who could not deal with his problems in life. Which is ironic, because the real issues lie within the mass neglect of a hidden epidemic that is not even trying to remain incognito.


No comments:

Post a Comment