Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2, 2015

First off, what a Super Bowl. It had everything you could ask for: a close well fought game that game done to the last second, an amazing halftime performance, and even a concussion.

I'm going to try to finish talking about all the links I wanted to discuss last class today, then from there I will start working on my final presentation and product.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27243298/nfl-concussion-protocol-hit-players-safety

key things to point our from this article:


  1. "Per rules, players diagnosed with concussions must go through a mandatory return-to-play process involving observation, comparison to preseason baseline cognitive testing and physical exertion. Before resuming practice, a player must be cleared by the team doctor and an independent neurological consultant." - this has only been recently implemented. Before only the team doctors had to clear the player, which could result in a biased tendency to return the players back to the game. This is a great step in the right direction.
  2. "The protocol is on the right path. As a player you have to do something to help yourself too. I tried to do my best on the test to make it even harder to get back on the field," said Anderson, who also made another change to help himself after getting his concussion. "I changed my helmet to a more padded one. When I get hit, I might get another one, but I feel a lot better with this helmet." - Players determine there baseline results. If the test isn't taken seriously, then concussion protocol is just thrown out the window. 

One thing I have now looked into is neuromuscular mouth guards. To my surprise, mouth guards are not mandatory in football. There isn't any scientific proof that mouth guards protect against concussions but they have been linked with prevention and I believe this should be more of a precautionary measure that must be taken. Only the QB or the signal caller of defense should possibly be allowed to forgo a mouth guard because of their crucial need to talk to their teammates. However, if everybody was to use mouth pieces, would it even out the playing field and make everything still as fair as possible?




The above article talks a lot about the positive reasons as to why a neuromuscular mouth guard should be used. 





"In one recent poll, a majority of Americans said they expect football to be just as popular in 20 years, but 50 percent said they would not want their son to play the game. Joining the chorus of those worried about children playing football is Mike Ditka, the legendary coach of the 1985 Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears, who in an interview this month on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel said, “I think the risk is worse than the reward. I really do.” - that's right. People don't want their children playing the game of football anymore,especially those that are college educated or wealthy. Football could end up being a game played by those that are less affluent and less educated.



http://www.swsportstech.com/shockbox_football_helmet_sensors.html

I mentioned shockbox helmets a long while ago, but I'll bring them up again on the basis that it is another possible solution to fix the concussion crisis and my job is to find every possible thing that could help reduce the concussion rate and make the game safer.



http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler/youth-football-brain-disease-suicide#.dxLJ08VloQ

Very said story about a high school football player who suffered from CTE at a young age and committed suicide. Awareness is key. Do you really want to be aware of the ramifications that sustaining a concussion can cause after it occurs? Of course not. How can you tell someone that football can lead to serious brain damage if they are already six feet under?


Next class I need to watch a Ted talk Michelle sent to me. I am now keeping a google drive document to help sort out all the information I will be presenting on April 6th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment